Sunday, December 20, 2009

Daughter in Crisis

I have a 17 yo daughter is crisis, which of course means the family is in crisis, or maybe it is just me. Twice in the last 2 years (the last one was this October) she has snuck away to be with older guys. The last time she got caught because I needed her to get home because I was taking, oh what the hell do the detail really matter. She totaled her car on the way home. So now she is without a car (which we helped pay for), we took her phone and according to her this mess in her life is all our fault.

She is in counseling, it started a few weeks ago. But every day she goes toe to toe with me or her father. Things got really bad on Friday and she has been in her room ever since. Which I encourage because I just see red when I see her. The things she said to her father and I, never would I have expected them from her. She wants to move out and as awful as it makes me seem, there are times when I think it woukd be best for her. She seems to think her life would be a bed of roses if she could just get away.

I'm venting now because I an at a total loss. I thought we were good parents. We love our kids.We would do anything within our power to help them. And now my stomach is in knots, I'm angry, Christmas just needs to come and go. But I can't feel this way all the time, I have 3 young men still growing in the house.

I need to find my place again as a mom or I think I might go crazy with grief.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes no matter what you've done, how much you've loved them, our children don't always respond like we hoped they would. Doesn't make us bad parents, doesn't make our kids bad people.

    I can empathize with what you're going through. Just be there for her if she finally does 'come crashing down.' She still needs your guidance and love.

    I'm right there with you on the crazy train. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with what Tara said.
    I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete